Video: Google Explains the Fundamentals of SEO for Startups in Just 10 Minutes
Google recently posted a video on their Webmaster blog that quickly covers SEO techniques for startups and small businesses that have websites that are less than 50 pages. Maile Ohye, Developer Programs Tech Lead at Google, discusses the following essential SEO tactics:
- WWW. vs non WWW. urls and the importance of 301 redirects from whichever one you’re NOT using
- Verifying ownership of your website in Google’s Webmaster Tools
- Submitting a Reconsideration Request via Google’s Webmaster Tools
- Website design and your audience profiles
- Defining visitor conversions for every page of your site
- Using relevant keywords naturally in your website’s text
- Answering your consumers product related questions within your content
- Creating unique copy, a unique theme, unique page title and unique meta description for every page of your website
- Avoiding pitfalls like hiring a rogue seo(“if they guarantee anything, that’s bad news”), participating in link schemes or link buying, and focusing more on design than index-able text and site structure.
It’s definitely worth watching if you’re a small business owner who’s unfamiliar with SEO and you have 10 minutes to spare.
There’s always good information related to SEO best practices at Google Webmaster Tools
If you found this video interesting and you’d like to learn more about search engine optimization, be sure to check out Moz’s Beginner’s Guide to SEO. Moz.com is a software platform designed to make inbound marketing easier. There is no shortage of very, high quality content on Moz’s blog and The Beginner’s Guide is no exception. The free 10 chapter PDF discusses:
- How Search Engines Operate
- How People Interact With Search Engines
- Why Search Engine Marketing is Necessary
- The Basics of Search Engine Friendly Design and Development
- Keyword Research
- How Usability, Experience & Content Affect Rankings
- Growing Popularity and Links
- Search Engine Tools and Services
- Myths and Misconceptions About Search Engines
- Measuring and Tracking Success
It’s an invaluable resource for small business owners that are interested in understanding SEO.
And if you found this information useful, be a bud and click the like button or tweet out a link to this post.