Google recently posted a video on their Webmaster blog that quickly covers SEO techniques for startups and small businesses that have websites that are less than 50 pages. Maile Ohye, Developer Programs Tech Lead at Google, discusses the following essential SEO tactics:
[fancy_list style="bullet_list" variation="orange"]
- WWW. vs non WWW. urls and the importance of 301 redirects from whichever one you’re NOT using
- Verifying ownership of your website in Google’s Webmaster Tools
- Submitting a Reconsideration Request via Google’s Webmaster Tools
- Website design and your audience profiles
- Defining visitor conversions for every page of your site
- Using relevant keywords naturally in your website’s text
- Answering your consumers product related questions within your content
- Creating unique copy, a unique theme, unique page title and unique meta description for every page of your website
- Avoiding pitfalls like hiring a rogue seo(“if they guarantee anything, that’s bad news”), participating in link schemes or link buying, and focusing more on design than index-able text and site structure.
It’s definitely worth watching if you’re a small business owner who’s unfamiliar with SEO and you have 10 minutes to spare.
There’s always good information related to SEO best practices at Google Webmaster Tools